Monday, October 5, 2009

Caramel Apple Cake Pops


These tiny caramel apple-inspired pops are made out of apple flavored cake and cream cheese, which are dipped in caramel and finely chopped peanuts. To make these you will need:


1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
8 egg yolks
3/4 cup milk (or 1/4 cup apple cider and 1/2 cup milk)
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 large apple, diced
8 oz cream cheese, softened
14 oz caramels
1 1/2 cups finely chopped peanuts
32 lollipop sticks


First, I made the cake. I adapted a yellow cake recipe I found on Allrecipes.com. Instead of 3/4 cup milk, I used 1/4 cup apple cider and 1/2 cup milk. I also added a teaspoon of cinnamon and one large apple, diced. The apple was added by hand after all the other ingredients were combined.


Once the cake was baked and had cooled, I crumbled it into pieces in a large mixing bowl. Then I added 8 oz. of softened cream cheese and combined with a rubber spatula until incorporated. Next, I put the mixture in the refrigerator for 30 minutes. While I was waiting, I unwrapped 14oz of caramels and placed them into a microwave-safe bowl. I also finely chopped 1 1/2 cups of dry roasted peanuts and placed them onto a plate. Please note - If the peanuts are not finely chopped, they will be likely to slide off the pop, and take the caramel with it.


I rolled the mixture into one-inch size balls and placed them on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Then I inserted lollipop sticks about three-fourths of the way into the balls. Next I melted the caramels in the microwave in one minute intervals until smooth. I dipped the balls into the melted caramel, trying to cover as much as the ball as possible. Then I quickly rolled the bottom half in the crushed peanuts, and the pop back onto the wax paper-lined pan. Once all the pops were coated, I placed the baking sheet into the refrigerator for 3o minutes. The recipe should make around 32 pops.

3 comments:

  1. They are so cute and look yummy. Bring some
    for Thanksgiving.
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any suggestions on how to package these for travel?

    ReplyDelete
  3. did you have a problem with the caramel being to sticky?

    ReplyDelete